Alnwick 1861

Click on map for larger image
Heritage Cartography - Victorian Town and Village Maps

ISBN 1-903004-38-1
Size 510mm x 587mm
Uncoloured size 560mm x 657mm

The map shows this most northerly town of England at the time as a compact market settlement hardly larger than it was as a medieval walled village dominated by the massive ducal seat of the Percy family, Alnwick Castle. Clearly seen is the route of The Great North Road winding its way through the ancient Bondgate and the narrow alleys of the town, the route taken by every road traveller between London and Edinburgh until just a few years ago. The recently constructed main railway line, however, passed the town by to the east and Alnwick was necessarily connected to the developing system by a branch line terminating at a station relatively close to the town centre. The working colliery on the southwest corner of the map shows that, despite its outwardly tranquil bucolic appearance, Alnwick was very much part of the contemporary industrial world.

Please select the option you require

Quantity

View Basket

Return to Map List

Click here for details of our ordering process, shipping options and terms and conditions.