St Andrews 1854

Click on map for larger image
Heritage Cartography - Victorian Town and Village Maps

ISBN
Size
Uncoloured size

St Andrews in 1854 is seen primarily as a small isolated market town of three streets, three colleges and one golf clubhouse. Its isolation has been recently somewhat relieved by the construction of the railway but, apart from this event and a gas works, the town has been spared the social and overt commercial changes of the industrial revolution. The town, however, has not one, but two breweries. Is there a correlation here between commerce and student life one wonders? Overall St Andrews conveys an air of quiet comfortable Victorian ease and confidence and relatively free of the tensions and contradictions raging in the urban areas at this time. It is one of the few towns in Scotland without the public building which so indicted that society…the Poor House.

Please select the option you require

Quantity

View Basket

Return to Map List

Click here for details of our ordering process, shipping options and terms and conditions.