Pickering 1848

Click on map for larger image
Heritage Cartography - Victorian Town and Village Maps

ISBN 978-1-908914-09-5
Size 600mm x 600mm
Uncoloured size 600mm x 600mm

Pickering 1848 is seen little changed from its mediaeval village pattern of market place flanked by a double line of roadside cottages backed by their burgage strip plots. The greatest change to the sleepy market town is the recent arrival of the railway, which has sliced directly through the town centre, but the industrial revolution has had minimal other impact on the population other than a small gas works. A major source of employment are the large stone quarries north of the town, long since disused, but replaced today by one further to the northwest. Pickering is seen as quiet settled small rural community but the town in no doubt riddled with the well documented Victorian social and economic contradictions. The building looming isolated to the northeast on the Whitby road with the largest text label is.....the Workhouse.

Please select the option you require

Quantity

View Basket

Return to Map List

Click here for details of our ordering process, shipping options and terms and conditions.