Chelmsford 1872

Click on map for larger image
Heritage Cartography - Victorian Town and Village Maps

ISBN 978-1-908914-33-0
Size 630mm x 660mm
Uncoloured size 630mm x 660mm

Chelmsford in 1872 is seen as little more than a modern medium sized village. Its mediaeval structure is clearly depicted lying at the crossing of two roads originally constructed during the Roman occupation. Here a small market town developed as the Roman name Caesaromagus suggests ( Caesar's Marketplace). The industrial revolution has made marginal impact on the town. Firstly it turned Chelmsford into a minor port in the 18th Century by joining the then navigable River Chelmer with a short canal to the Town Wharf on Springfield Road. Here three coal yards and a timber yard have been sited. Tyneside coal was shipped inland from Maldon to the adjacent gas works. The town has benefitted most with the recent construction of the railway connecting it to London. Its future as a major manufacturing and commuter town has been secured. The start of this transformation can be seen with the laying of the New London Road as Victorian bypass and the ribbon development of housing on all four roads radiating from the town centre. Meanwhile the only current evidence of new industry is a small iron foundry in New London Road and a slightly larger iron and brass foundry on New Street. The future town, however, will rise from the three large brick works to the south west of the centre.

Please select the option you require

Quantity

View Basket

Return to Map List

Click here for details of our ordering process, shipping options and terms and conditions.