Berwick-upon-Tweed 1857

Click on map for larger image
Heritage Cartography - Victorian Town and Village Maps

ISBN 978-1-905718-15-3
Size 560mm x 607mm
Uncoloured size 560mm x 607mm

Berwick is shown as a town still totally contained within its ancient fortifications linked to the south bank of the Tweed by a single bridge. Despite its secure impermeable situation, the industrial revolution has brought recent immense change and commerce to the area. Most dramatically the railway has swept by the town punching a route through the historic castle walls, on its imperious way to Edinburgh, unimaginably philistine to modern custodians of heritage. Diverse industries are evident on the developing south bank with two large foundries, ironworks, steam saw mill, chemical works and pipe manufactory. Great social upheaval is doubtlessly accompanying this development within a couple of generations pulling this isolated and staunchly independent community into the upheavals of the modern era.

Please select the option you require

Quantity

View Basket

Return to Map List

Click here for details of our ordering process, shipping options and terms and conditions.