Whitby 1849

Click on map for larger image
Heritage Cartography - Victorian Town and Village Maps

ISBN 1-903004-82-9
Size 500mm x 571mm
Uncoloured size 600mm x 685mm

Any 1849 inhabitant of Whitby would easily recognise their town today, at least the old centre. It has hardly changed in layout nestling alongside the harbour between the steep banks of the River Esk. The future development of the town is determined already, however, with the recently constructed railway winding in from the south bringing holidaymakers for the new boarding houses and hotels on the West Cliff as well as the new goods of the industrial revolution. Despite its main function as a pragmatic and sturdy fishing and shipping town, new aspirations to refinement are evident in the Baths, Library and Museum on the west quayside as well as the roomy New Buildings on Flower Gate. It was very much a town of two cultures which would be still evident today to our resurrected 1849er.

Please select the option you require

Quantity

View Basket

Return to Map List

Click here for details of our ordering process, shipping options and terms and conditions.