Todmorden 1844

Click on map for larger image
Heritage Cartography - Victorian Town and Village Maps

ISBN 978-1-905718-05-4
Size 658mm x 734mm
Uncoloured size 658mm x 734mm

Todmorden in 1844 is shown as a town just emerging into the industrial era. Fifty years earlier it was only a tiny hamlet nestling in the Calder Valley at the important junction of two Pennine roads north to south and east to west and the confluence of the River Calder and Walsden Water.  These fast flowing rivers were essential to the location of the many cotton mills seen along the valleys and cloughs as they were all originally dependent on water power.  The town is dominated by the massive Waterside Mill, one of the largest in the area.

The small town is obviously thriving by the evidence of this mill and the many other smaller mills and also two large gentlemen's  residences Centre Vale and Scaitcliffe Hall.  The industrial prosperity of the area has been increased first by the Rochdale Canal  and second by the railway, only recently completed, running from three directions into the town.  A curious feature of Todmorden at that time was that the boundary between Yorkshire and Lancashire ran down the middle of the rivers through the urban centre so that half the town fell in Lancashire and half in Yorkshire.  A quirk of Ordnance Survey county mapping projections meant that the town was always shown on two separate maps. This map shows early Victorian Todmorden as a whole at a large scale for the first time.

Please select the option you require

Quantity

View Basket

Return to Map List

Click here for details of our ordering process, shipping options and terms and conditions.